Home | Moving Tips
Packing and Moving Tips
Here's a handy moving tips checklist for you
It's always better to hire the services of professional moving companies to transport household objects. However, if you feel competent and confident enough to do it on your own, we've some packing and moving tips for you.
Moving tips checklist
- Get cardboard boxes: Your local scrap dealer should have a stock of used cardboard boxes available. If not, you can check the Internet for companies that deal in cardboard boxes and order a whole stack of them in various sizes. While you don't need super-strength boxes, make sure they can withstand some rough handling.
- Mark the boxes properly: Mark the boxes properly so that you'll know what's inside. It will be of immense help when you do the unloading at your new home. You can prioritize what boxes to open first for the essentials.
- Fragile objects: Fragile objects like cutlery, glass objects d'art etc need to be packaged property. Wrap each object separately in blister packaging. Ensure that there is enough cushioning at the bottom of the box, and pack the objects firmly so that they don't shake or move. Carry expensive objects personally with you.
- Hazardous objects: Take extra care while moving hazardous objects like gas cylinders and things that contain fuel like generators. Remove fuel from generators before transporting them.
- Take care of your papers and documents: Be extra careful with documents like investment papers, birth certificates, property deeds etc. Remove them from the cupboard and put them in your briefcase/ bag, and make a note of it.
- Refrigerators: Empty your refrigerator a few days in advance so that it's ready for moving on the appointed date.
- Call the trucker: Call the trucker a few days in advance to confirm the moving date. Call again the day before you're moving and reconfirm.
- At your new home: Make sure the movers know how to get there. Get the driver's mobile number and have someone meet the truck at the new home. It's better to have someone you trust on the truck so that your possessions don't disappear en route.
These packing and moving tips are far from being exhaustive, but we hope that they will help. Happy moving!